Sunday, August 16, 2015

exobiology and the work of humanity



My interest in all things S.E.T.I. and extraterrestrial are philosophical and literary. I have good reason to want to give serious attention to related topics. But I’m kidding about contact with anyone who’s had contact with any beings. This is so needless-to-say! Part of my interest in exobiology and S.E.T.I. is why lack of local ET presence is clearly the case.

But a recent tabloid interview with an Apollo 14 astronaut is being picked up by non-tabloid sources, claiming that NASA has long known about an Earthly presence of ETs. I’m amazed to see my improvisational mind being “corroborated.”

The NASA angle was my joke, though his story is more fun: The ETs helped us avoid nuclear war. Actually, I presumed that I wasn’t being imaginative at all, but rather trite, given the rampant ET culture and UFO culture, which has never interested me (except psychoculturally or anthropologically).

But pursuit of exobiological thinking is scientifically important. Gaining appreciation for how We are evolved from common circumstances, yet are special in The Universe because evolution individualizes intelligent life, is altogether important for better appreciating how we express, in effect, the intelligence of Earth, in a way that no other form of intelligent life could, because the recursiveness of intelligent evolution individualizes a planet like an intensive life individualizes every person. We are Earth among planets that we’ll never visit. Yet we are this: being “with” Absolute Others who can never know us. The Message is to enown the future of Earth, because We are absolutely irreplaceable.

So, I do wonder what motivates astronaut Edgar Mitchell to say what he does, in the twilight of a life given to walking on the Moon. A fact of the matter is that the de-centering effect of standing on the Moon or understanding implications of our easily finding other planets or understanding how easily life begins to evolve (which exobiology is exponentially establishing) calls for taking seriously Our learning curve about being in the Milky Way.

Relative to the scientific, thus philosophical, reality of Our evolving, there’s nothing to lose, late in life, by dramatizing the exobiological relativity of NASA’s evolving knowledge. So, I applaud Edgar Mitchell for making a little drama.

And I gladly attest that I’m an extraterrestrial, because I feel so alien from most of humanity: consumerist, purely capitalist, war mongering, or inhumane. I hope that you feel similarly. The Work of Humanity is too easily difficult strife against the work of inhumanity.

So, “ETs and the Silence” mirrors an ultimate importance of enowning Our evolving.